Senior Site Manager
JOB ROLE PURPOSE
The primary responsibility of the dependant on job type and size either lead the project team to ensure Sweet Projects and Client objectives are met or act as a senior member of the site team as a whole and ensure Sweet Projects and Client objectives are met.
Governance: Understand importance of internal and external reporting (client reporting), establishing templates and improving company & project governance
Leadership: Strong leadership skills, experience in working with senior leaders, and throughout the business to get the best results
Team Player: Ability to harness a working environment which encourages team work, energy, and creativity
Decision-making: Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to think on your feet and recommend decisions with little hesitation
Communication: Presentation and spoken ability, written communication skills to be able to prepare company and project reports
Attention to Detail: Meticulous attention to detail, provide high-quality reports and maintain high standards within the wider business
Project management: Excellent project, planning, change management capabilities
A Big-Picture Perspective: Ability to determine needs within the company and connect groups to work together to solve problems as they arise
Built environment sector expertise: Experience in working in the built environment sector (client or contractor),
preferably in a similar role
Innovation: Look for new ways to do things, introduce better solutions, lead innovation initiatives, experiment
SPECIFIC JOB DESCRIPTION
Sweet Projects is a general contractor business, drawing on over forty years of specialised industry experience to provide excellent service, sustain long-term partnerships and achieve the highest quality outcome for key clients, whilst maintaining financial commitments.
Since inception in early 2020, the business continues to grow and has a projected turnover of £100m. Currently specialising in the delivery of Data Centres, it will further expand into the delivery of other key specialist assets, including Pharmaceutical and Defence.
It is envisaged that the role will support the aim of Sweet Projects in serving all client needs. This will be achieved by:
• The development of key working relationships with all Sweet Projects staff, clients, consultants and sub-contractors.
• Working in close partnership with local supply chain partners and using local expertise and knowledge
• Contributing to long-term customer partnerships ensuring repeat business
• Ensure that all work is kept on programme and that all details as specified in the drawings and instructions are adhered to.
• Supervision of all direct labour as may be necessary and co-ordinate the activities of all the trades and disciplines involved on the site so that all operations are performed efficiently and in accordance with the construction programme and the quality and cost standards required by
Ensuring delivery on time, to budget and to agreed quality ensuring procedures are followed / maintained and that authorisation parameters are not exceeded thus ensuring compliance with our group procedures
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are not exhaustive. The postholder may be required to undertake other duties that may be required from time to time within the general scope of the post. Any such duties should not substantially change the general nature of the post. This role description should develop along with the changing demands of the company objectives and priorities.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive; it is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility
• The Senior Site Manager duties and responsibilities include:
• Ensure the work complies with all relevant specifications and drawings.
• Manage Site managers and site team
• Be fully conversant with the method statement produced for each element within the project and oversee the work to ensure that the work is executed safely
• Attend and contribute to any safety initiative as required to ensure the project is constructed safely
• Ensure all Operatives are put to work ‘safely at all times’ with daily briefings
• Comply and manage health and safety in line with Sweet Projects procedures, and current guidance and good practice
• Carry out site induction and toolbox talks to those persons working on or visiting a given project
• Ensure that site branding and housekeeping standards adhere to company guidelines.
• Co-ordinate the activity of different sub-contractors / trades or section of work to ensure work is carried out efficiently making expectations clear and reviewing performance standards, resolve problems with and between trades hold a weekly sub- contract progress review meeting
• Liaise with Specialist Contractors to ensure that works are constructed in accordance with the latest information
• Have an understanding of each specialist sub-contractor’s order including all attendances. Ensure works are executed safely in accordance with agreed methodology, attend Pre-Order meeting with each sub-contractor
• Produce short term programmes to allow the planning, execution and monitoring of the works compared against the contract programme ensure all programmes plans, method statements and risk assessments are up to date, understood and adhered to by all the necessary people
• Organise the site team daily to deliver programme requirements
• Inspect the works as required and in line with Project Quality Plan and relevant Inspection and Test Plans / checklists ensuring that the works are compliant with specification
• Where elements of the work are found not to be in accordance with the specification Issue and follow through to close out non-conformance reports as required
• Promote high standards of work completion across the site.
• Be aware of and ensure contract terms are delivered
• Liaise with the project QS to monitor the financial status of the project, identify solutions to problems and improvements and organise activity to deliver these and the required margin.
• Manage junior team members, making expectations clear and reviewing performance standards.
• Communicate with clients and third parties in Sweet Project’s best interests at all times.
• Set role model and ensure high standards of personal conduct on site at all time to deliver the Sweet Project’s brand image.
• Hold weekly team meetings to discuss project delivery, identify improvement opportunities and celebrate success that are minuted.
• Where required ensure materials ordering is carried out in line with the specification, and is procured in a timely manner, that due consideration is given to storage and delivery requirements whilst ensuring wastage is monitored and controlled effectively. Ensure materials received are recorded and details submitted to the accounts department
• Monitor prelim costs with the QS to ensure no unnecessary costs are incurred due to poor record keeping and/or poor management decisions.
• Produce and maintain project records in line with Sweet Project’s process and procedures and also in addition by the Site / Project Manager for example to include but not limited to;
• Daily site diary
• As-built records
• Register of delay and disruption
• Be responsible for a project as a whole or support as a senior team member the successful delivery of a project as a whole.
The Senior Site Manager Minimum Qualifications:
• NVQ Level 4 Site Management,
• Membership of the CSCS scheme
• 5-day SMSTS – CITB
• Sound knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
• 1st Aid at Work (4 day)
• Good computer skills and experience are required as data input onto a system is a requirement of the role.
It is expected that the individual must have attained the technical skills, and knowledge in the following areas above.
• A good understanding of construction methods and technology including materials
• A proven proactive knowledge of the management of health, safety and environment
• Understanding of contract documentation and reporting and how best to protect Sweet Projects Commercially
• Be fully IT competent
• Proven track record of career progression through engineering, trade or construction roles in the construction industry
• Have an understanding of planning techniques and the use of relevant software
Key Relationships(internal and external)
The Senior Site Manager will interface with the following key people:
• Managing Director
• Commercial Director
• Bid Director
• Project Director
• Head of Construction
• Head of Operations
• Senior Project Manager
• Senior Site Manager
• Project Delivery Team
• Health & Safety professionals
• Statutory authorities
• Service providers
• Client team & advisors
• Sub-Contractors and suppliers