We need an experienced Quantity Surveyor to support the design and build of flagship facilities across the UK and Europe.
Under the guidance of the Senior Quantity Surveyor, your primarily role will be to protect the company’s financial, contractual interests, liabilities, rights, risks and opportunities appertaining to matters under your charge.
- You’ll assist the SQS in the provision of high-quality contractual and commercial advice.
- You’ll assist the PS/MQS in achieving project budgets for turnover, cash generation and margin.
- You’ll attain and maintain strong cost and risk awareness.
- You’ll promote and implement Sweet Projects’ business initiatives and working practices.
- You’ll maintain targets set by your line manager and review on a regular basis.
What you’ll do
- This is a snapshot of the full job description with broad responsibilities listed:
- Ensure an optimum return to the Company.
- Implement project procurement requirements and assist in the placement of orders.
- When subcontracting ensure that the administration, commercial management and payment processes are carried out timely, fairly and reasonably.
- Advise site management and other departments of the Company’s contractual rights, remedies and obligations under the Contract.
- Implement and comply with the Company’s financial controls and reporting procedures.
- Comply with the Company’s management health, safety, environmental and quality procedures and standards.
- Foster continuous commercial improvement and communicate outcomes to Divisional management.
- Comply with the Company’s business authorisation levels & controls.
- Implement, comply and promote the Company’s Business Initiatives.
- Organise the monitoring and recording of all variations both client and subcontractors.
- Organise the process of instructing subcontractor variations.
- Assist or Compile Project accounts and monthly cost / value reconciliations.
- Foster good communication with project colleagues and promote profitability and cash management.
- Keep your immediate line manager informed of relevant issues and establish that key events and reports are communicated to staff with responsibility for the commercial management.
- Develop a professional working relationship with clients and their representatives.
- Assist Developing supply chain relationships to the benefit of Sweet Projects.
- Maintain and improve the image of Sweet Projects.
- Develop a good knowledge in quantity surveying skills and practice.
- Develop experience and proficiency in construction methods, processes and the review and commercial / cost implications of all technical and design information.
- Attain an understanding of the Contract Documents and tender.
- Attain a good working understanding of how the parties to a contract hold responsibility for the timely delivery of a project and their obligations, rights and remedies in the event of delaying events.
- Attain a good understanding of how Contract Document(s) and tender(s) are compiled.
- Attain a good understanding and working knowledge of compiling subcontract order(s).
- Ensure subcontracts are properly prepared and signed off before making any payments.
- Ensure that all Contractual requirements for bonds, guarantees and or warranties are obtained from subcontractors.
- Develop an understanding and knowledge of the payment processes under the Main and subcontracts.
- Monitor and pursue the proper collection of all contractual documentation due from subcontractors.
- Liaise with the Project Manager regarding contractual issues, cost overruns and their possible effect on profitability.
- Facilitate the personal development of commercial staff.
- Encourage staff and contribute to staff development activities on site
- HNC/HND/ Degree in Quantity Surveying desirable.
- MRICS &/or MCIOB (or working towards) desirable.
- Must be a team player but also be able to work on own initiative
It is expected the individual will be competent in the achieving of:
- Commercial & Financial awareness.
- Leadership & Team awareness.
- Excellent communicator.
- Client focus.
- Results focus.
- Negotiation skills.
- Time management skills.