JOB ROLE PURPOSE
The primary responsibility for the commercial management and administration of works / tasks as allocated Projects and to manage the financial issues and apply cost control procedures related to the procurement and delivery of construction projects.
Governance: Understand importance of internal and external reporting (client reporting), establishing templates and improving company & project governance
Leadership: Strong leadership skills, experience in working with senior leaders, and throughout the business to get the best results
Team Player: Ability to harness a working environment which encourages team work, energy, and creativity
Decision-making: Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to think on your feet and recommend decisions with little hesitation
Communication: Presentation and spoken ability, written communication skills to be able to prepare company and project reports
Attention to Detail: Meticulous attention to detail, provide high-quality reports and maintain high standards within the wider business
Project management: Excellent project, planning, change management capabilities
A Big-Picture Perspective: Ability to determine needs within the company and connect groups to work together to solve problems as they arise
Built environment sector expertise: Experience in working in the built environment sector (client or contractor), preferably in a similar role
Innovation: Look for new ways to do things, introduce better solutions, lead innovation initiatives, experiment
SPECIFIC JOB DESCRIPTION
Sweet Projects is a general contractor business, drawing on over forty years of specialised industry experience to provide excellent service, sustain long-term partnerships and achieve the highest quality outcome for key clients, whilst maintaining financial commitments.
Since inception in early 2020, the business continues to grow and has a projected turnover of £100m. Currently specialising in the delivery of Data Centres, it will further expand into the delivery of other key specialist assets, including Pharmaceutical and Defence.
To optimise the profitability of the Company through Project(s) / works allocated and take responsibility for the implementation, administration and commercial management of task(s) / work(s) allocated.
Liaise with SQS to ensure project meets quantity surveying best practice and compliance with the Companies business authorisation levels & controls quality, health, safety and environmental procedures.
Under the guidance of SQS protect the Company’s financial, contractual interests, liabilities, rights, risks and opportunities appertaining to matters under your charge.
Assist the SQS in the provision of high quality contractual and commercial advice.
• Assist the PS/MQS in achieving Project budgets for turnover, cash generation and margin.
• Attaining and maintaining strong cost and risk awareness.
• Promote and implement Sweet Projects business initiatives and working practices
Maintain target set by line manager and review on regular basis.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are not exhaustive. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties that may be required from time to time within the general scope of the post. Any such duties should not substantially change the general nature of the post. This role description should develop along with the changing demands of the company objectives and priorities.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive; it is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility
The Quantity Surveyor’s duties and responsibilities include:
Departmental Responsibilities (not specific to individual)
• Ensure an optimum return to the Company.
• Implement project procurement requirements and assist in the placement of orders.
• When subcontracting ensure that the administration, commercial management and payment processes are carried out timely, fairly and reasonably.
• Advise site management and other departments of the Company’s contractual rights, remedies and obligations under the Contract.
• Implement and comply with the Company’s financial controls and reporting procedures.
• Comply with the Company’s management health, safety, environmental and quality procedures and standards.
• Foster continuous commercial improvement and communicate outcomes to Divisional management.
• Comply with the Companies business authorisation levels & controls
• Implement, comply and promote the Company’s Business Initiatives.
• Facilitate the personal development of commercial staff.
• Encourage staff and contribute to staff development activities on site.
• Strive to optimise the profitability of the Company.
• Pursue prompt cash collection and update cash flow forecasts.
• Assist in the preparation of budgets and site objectives in conjunction with the site management team.
• Organise the monitoring and recording of all variations both client and subcontractors.
• Organise the process of instructing subcontractor variations
• Monitor all cost expenditure; and in conjunction with the site management, implement cost control measures.
• Assist or Compile Project accounts and monthly cost / value reconciliations.
• Maintain regular communication with your line manager.
• Foster good communication with project colleagues and promote profitability and cash management.
• Keep your immediate line manager informed of relevant issues and establish that key events and reports are communicated to staff with responsibility for the commercial management.
• Develop a professional working relationship with clients and their representatives.
• Provide feedback to estimators and other head office departments to promote best practice and value.
• Assist Developing supply chain relationships to the benefit of Sweet Projects
• Maintain and improve the image of Sweet Projects.
• Broaden experience and develop a proficiency in the commercial management of Contract(s) / work(s) allocated.
• Develop a good knowledge in quantity surveying skills and practice.
• Develop experience and proficiency in construction methods, processes and the review and commercial / cost implications of all technical and design information.
(Contractual and Subcontracting)
• Attain an understanding of the Contract Documents and tender.
• Attain a working understanding of how the parties to a contract hold design responsibility.
• Attain a good working understanding of how the parties to a contract hold responsibility for the timely delivery of a project and their obligations, rights and remedies in the event of delaying events.
• Attain a good understanding of how Contract Document(s) and tender(s) are compiled.
• Attain a good understanding and working knowledge of compiling subcontract order(s).
• Ensure subcontracts are properly prepared and signed off before making any payments.
• Ensure that all Contractual requirements for bonds, guarantees and or warranties are obtained from subcontractors.
• Advise of any contractual notices required, and also from subcontractors and suppliers etc.
• Develop an understanding and knowledge of the payment processes under the Main and subcontracts.
• In conjunction with site staff implement and maintain the appropriate records required to manage a construction contract i.e. Engineers diaries, Programme reports, As-built records and evidence etc.
• Process payments and notify all subcontractors in accordance with the Construction Act.
• Monitor and pursue the proper collection of all contractual documentation due from subcontractors.
• Liaise with the Project Manager regarding contractual issues, cost overruns and their possible effect on profitability.
The Quantity Surveyor’s Minimum Qualifications:
• HNC/HND/ Degree in Quantity Surveying desirable.
• Must be a team player but also be able to work on own initiative
• It is expected the individual will be competent in the achieving of ;
• Commercial & Financial awareness
• Leadership & Team awareness
• Excellent communicator
• Client focus
• Results Focus
• Negotiation skills
• Time Managements skills
• Must have a working knowledge of ECC, JCT contracts
• At least 1 years site experience working on building and construction projects, ideally with values in excess of £1M
• Working understanding of procurement practices and forms of main and subcontract
• Understanding of Cost / value process and reporting
• Management training and development will be provided in line with Sweet Projects personal development programme
Key Relationships (internal and external)
The Quantity Surveyor will interface with the following key people:
• Managing Director
• Executive Director
• Commercial Director
• Contracts Director
• Project Director
• Senior Project Manager
• Project Delivery Team
• Health & Safety professionals
• Service providers
• Client team & advisors
• Sub-Contractors and suppliers