JOB ROLE PURPOSE
The primary responsibility of the Commercial Manager is to ensure that all commercial aspects of projects are properly managed and controlled for the group, and a commercial strategy is developed and delivered in accordance with the requirements of the business.
Governance: Understand importance of internal and external reporting (client reporting), establishing templates and improving company & project governance
Leadership: Strong leadership skills, experience in working with senior leaders, and throughout the business to get the best results
Team Player: Ability to harness a working environment which encourages team work, energy, and creativity
Decision-making: Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to think on your feet and recommend decisions with little hesitation
Communication: Presentation and spoken ability, written communication skills to be able to prepare company and project reports
Attention to Detail: Meticulous attention to detail, provide high-quality reports and maintain high standards within the wider business
Project management: Excellent project, planning, change management capabilities
A Big-Picture Perspective: Ability to determine needs within the company and connect groups to work together to solve problems as they arise
Built environment sector expertise: Experience in working in the built environment sector (client or contractor),
preferably in a similar role
Innovation: Look for new ways to do things, introduce better solutions, lead innovation initiatives, experiment
SPECIFIC JOB DESCRIPTION
Sweet Projects is a general contractor business, drawing on over forty years of specialised industry experience to provide excellent service, sustain long term partnerships and achieve the highest quality outcome for key clients, whilst maintaining financial commitments.
Since inception in early 2020, the business continues to grow and has a projected turnover of £100m. Currently specialising in the delivery of Data Centres, it will further expand into the delivery of other key specialist assets, including Pharmaceutical and Defence.
To Optimise the profitability of the Company through Project(s) or allocated packages and take responsibility for the implementation, administration and commercial management of task / contract / work allocated.
Ensure financial reporting is carried out to the Companies requirements and standards i.e. commercial reporting, cash forecast, End of Life results. Responsible for Commercial management for all pre-contract works including the formulation and delivery of strategies to achieve high quality margin work. Lead the commercial team to ensure project is adequately resourced to meet quantity surveying best practice and compliance with the Companies business authorisation levels & controls quality, health, safety and environmental procedures. Provide advice and guidance to protect the Company’s financial, contractual interests, liabilities, rights, risks and opportunities appertaining to matters under your charge.
Assist in the provision of high quality contractual and commercial advice and in setting and achieving Project budgets for turnover, cash generation and margin.
Assist the Commercial Executive Management in the recognition and management of business authoritative levels, commercial procedures and systems.
• Attaining and maintaining strong cost and risk management.
• Promote and implement Sweet Projects business initiatives and working practices.
• Assuming the management and development of reporting staff.
• Identify and set targets to ensure that the commercial goals of the project are achieved, monitor and report against targets.
• Train, develop and manage commercial staff under guidance of Commercial Director
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are not exhaustive. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties that may be required from time to time within the general scope of the post. Any such duties should not substantially change the general nature of the post. This role description should develop along with the changing demands of the company objectives and priorities.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive; it is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility
The Commercial Manager’s duties and responsibilities include:
Departmental Responsibilities (not specific to individual)
• To efficiently manage all commercial aspects of the Project(s)
• Identify and manage project commercial risks and opportunities.
• To encourage and develop a culture of contractual awareness and ensure that the full contractual entitlement is achieved by rigidly managing records, contractual notifications, change control, etc.
• Ensure that best commercial practices are identified, shared, and implemented. To ensure the rigorous management of contract notifications including Early Warning Notices, Compensation Events/variations, extension of time claims, etc.
• Ensure an optimum return to the Company.
• Implement project procurement requirements, strategy, and the placement of orders.
• When subcontracting ensure that the administration, commercial management and payment processes are carried out timely, fairly and reasonably.
• Advise site management and other departments of the Company’s contractual rights, remedies and obligations under the Contract.
• Implement and comply with the Company’s financial controls and reporting procedures.
• Comply with the Company’s management health, safety, environmental and quality procedures and standards.
• Foster continuous commercial improvement and communicate outcomes to Senior Management.
• Comply with the Companies business authorisation levels & controls
• Implement, comply and promote the Company’s Business Initiatives.
• Lead project team in Value engineering review of project design to maximise return, quality, timing, safety
• To assist with the development and training of commercial staff where appropriate
• Communicate business matters to staff and encourage regular dialogue to exchange information and ideas for improvement.
• Identify and recommend to Commercial Director training requirements of commercial staff.
• Facilitate the personal development of commercial staff.
• Encourage staff and contribute to staff development activities on site.
• Strive to optimise the profitability of the Company.
• Pursue prompt cash collection, release of bonds etc and update cash flow forecasts.
• Prepare budgets and site objectives in conjunction with the site management team.
• Monitor all cost expenditure; and in conjunction with the site management, implement cost control measures.
• Ensure financial reporting is carried out to the Companies requirements and standards i.e. financial reporting cash forecast, End of Life results.
• Maintain regular communication with your line manager.
• Foster good communication with project colleagues and promote profitability and cash management.
• Keep your immediate line manager informed of relevant issues and establish that key events and reports are communicated to staff with responsibility for the commercial management.
• Develop a professional working relationship with clients and their representatives.
• Provide feedback to estimators and other head office departments to promote best practice and value.
• Assist in Developing supply chain relationships to the benefit of Sweet Projects.
• Organise the monitoring and recording of all variations both client and subcontractors.
• Organise the process of instructing subcontractor variations
• Maintain and improve the image of Sweet Projects.
• Broaden experience and develop a proficiency in the commercial management of Contract(s) / work(s) allocated.
• Have a sound proficiency in quantity surveying skills and practice.
• Have experience and proficiency in construction methods, processes and the review and commercial / cost implications of all technical and design information.
(Contractual and Subcontracting)
• Have a full understanding of the Contract Documents and tender.
• Attain a full understanding of how the parties to a contract hold design responsibility.
• Attain a full understanding of how the parties to a contract hold responsibility for the timely delivery of a project and their obligations, rights and remedies in the event of delaying events.
• Attain a full understanding of how Contract Document(s) and tender(s) are compiled.
• Attain a full understanding and sound working knowledge of compiling subcontract order(s).
• Ensure subcontracts are properly prepared and signed off.
• Ensure that all Contractual requirements for bonds, guarantees and or warranties are obtained from subcontractors.
• Manage the procurement of key subcontracts with particular emphasis on the proper transfer of risk.
• Monitor and review material differences between subcontractor applications and their payments, provide advice etc to pre-empt possible adjudications.
• Advise on and where required, draft all contractual notices, and also from subcontractors and suppliers etc.
• Develop an understanding and knowledge of the payment processes under the Main and subcontracts.
• In conjunction with site staff implement and maintain the appropriate records required to manage a construction contract i.e. Engineers diaries, Programme reports, As-built records and evidence etc.
• Process payments and notify all subcontractors in accordance with the Construction Act.
• Monitor and pursue the proper collection of all contractual documentation due from subcontractors.
• Liaise with the Project Manager regarding contractual issues and their possible effect on profitability.
• Manage dispute resolution (under the guidance of the Commercial Director)
The Commercial Manager’s Minimum Qualifications:
• HNC/HND/ Degree in Quantity Surveying desirable.
• MCIOB &/or MRICS (or equivalent experience)
• Must be a team player but also able to work on own initiative
• It is expected the individual will be competent in the achieving of ;
• Understanding and achieving objectives
• Leadership & Team awareness
• Excellent communicator
• Commercial management
• Customer Focus
• Emphasis on effective planning and organisation
• Resource management
• Decision making
• Negotiation skills
• Time management skills
• Must have a working knowledge of ECC, JCT & NEC contracts
• Working understanding of procurement practices and forms of main and subcontract
• Good understanding of Cost / value process and reporting
• Management training and development will be provided in line with Sweet Projects personal development programme
Key Relationships (internal and external)
The Commercial Manager will interface with the following key people:
• Managing Director
• Executive Director
• Commercial Director
• Bid Director
• Head of functions
• Senior Project Manager
• Project Delivery Team
• Health & Safety professionals
• Service providers
• Client team & advisors
• Sub-Contractors and suppliers